Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 In Review / Looking Ahead in 2011

I would say that, in sum, 2010 was actually a pretty good year for me. There was a lot of personal shit I had to deal with, but as a result of that I got into much better shape and lost about 15 pounds. All that crap is pretty much settled now, so 2011 should be a banner year.
I don't really talk about work here, but it was kind of cool that the project I was on that wrapped up in February has gotten a lot of attention. It was a pain in the butt to answer sporadic questions throughout the year, but at least I know it hasn't gone off into the ether.

Here are the goals I set for 2010, and results:

  • Complete riding in all of Texas' 254 counties - Completed in October
  • At least five state highpoints (this can include revisiting ones) - Made it just under the wire on Monday
  • At least five state capitols (can include touring ones I only photographed) - Completed in October
  • Enter some sort of athletic competition - Triply done in August, September, and November


Some new goals and plans for 2011:

  • 3M Half Marathon, January 30. Definitely want better than 2:30, my stretch goal would be under 2 hours.
  • CapTexTri, Olympic distance, May 30 (my 33rd birthday). I don't have a target time yet, I'm just hoping to not drown at this point.
  • Any new races/distances, I would just like to do my best and be satisfied with my result.
  • Any repeat race and distance, to improve on my previous time.
  • Eight state high points, hopefully to include biggies like WY and MT this summer.
  • At least five state capitols, even if it includes driving and touring capitols I've already photographed the exterior of.
  • Be better about writing here than I was in 2010. [Side note: I joined twitter recently @mldarm]


Odometer readings at the end of 2010: Fat Boy, 109082; Night Train, 7528; Roma, 1369; Secteur, 1781. I'm pretty sure that 7404 is the fewest miles I've ridden in a year since owning a motorcycle. I'm not surprised I rode my bicycle more than the Night Train, in fact I'm pretty sure that until the September road trip I had put more miles on the Secteur than both motorcycles combined. I think the only time I rode the Roma this year is when the Secteur was in the shop getting a tune-up.

No comments: