Sunday, October 7, 2012

IBM Uptown Classic 10K

Thanks to a cold front coming in yesterday, it was nice and cool this morning for the IBM Uptown Classic 10K. The cool 50-degree air played a big part in my setting a new 10K PR of 44:47, almost 4 minutes off of last year's time. I don't know what possessed me to wear a tri-top and arm warmers instead of a long-sleeve t-shirt, but I'm pretty sure I looked ridiculous, especially with gloves and a headband.
I maintained a fairly even pace, in the 7:10 range, despite the elevation going up and down a little here and there. Either they changed to course from last year or my memory of it is off, because I don't remember mile six being mostly uphill. I might have tried to pick up my pace for the last mile, but it took extra effort just to maintain pace. I didn't pick up my pace until pretty much the last turn toward the finish line. It wasn't really that much faster, about 6:40 pace, and it seemed slow as people who had saved more energy sprinted past me. I had been sweating heavily, despite the cold, so once I stopped it wasn't long before I started to feel chilled. I didn't stick around the vendor area long before going back to my car to put more clothes on and head on my way.

No comments: